2017 has been an active and vibrant year for Hong Kong’s securities and derivatives markets
OREANDA-NEWS. December 28, 2017. 2017 has been an active and vibrant year for Hong Kong’s securities and derivatives markets, according to market statistics from 1 January to 15 December 2017, published on Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited's (HKEX) website today in response to media requests.
The securities market turnover maintained a high level. As of 15 December, securities turnover had been over $100 billion for 30 consecutive days, the longest such streak since March 2015. Market capitalisation also reached a record of $33,646.4 billion on 22 November.
In the derivatives market, total options trading reached 133,250,347 records, up 14.5 per cent on the full-year record high of 116,362,151 contracts in 2015.
Trade volume in Stock Connect has grown significantly. Total Northbound turnover reached RMB 2,182 billion this year by 15 December, an increase of 195.7 per cent year-on-year. Southbound turnover reached $2,157 billion, an increase of 173.7 per cent year-on-year.
Here are some additional highlights from the securities and derivatives markets:
- There have been 166 new listings1 since the beginning of this year and the total equity funds raised from 1 January to 15 December 2017 was $525.7 billion2.
- As of 15 December, there were 2,110 listed companies (Main Board: 1,789, GEM: 321). The total market capitalisation stood at $32,664.4 billion as of 15 December.
- Turnover of securitised derivatives (derivative warrants and Callable Bull/Bear Contracts) was the world's highest for 11 consecutive years, according to data from the World Federation of Exchanges.
- Turnover of RMB Currency Futures-USD/CNH3 Futures was 705,942 contracts from 1 January to 15 December, 31 per cent higher than the full-year record high of 538,594 contracts in 2016.
- Turnover of stock options was 102,169,216 contracts, exceeding the previous record high of 92,463,479 contracts in 2015.
- Open interest of stock options reached 12,502,433 contracts on 28 November, 12 per cent higher than the previous high of 11,159,128 contracts on 27 May 2015.
Separately, statistics from the London Metal Exchange (LME), a subsidiary of HKEX, are also available in the market statistics published today. They include the contract volume and market open interest of key products.1 Includes 13 companies which moved their listings from GEM to the Main Board
2 HKEX data
3 USD: US dollar; CNH: offshore RMB