The Discover it® Card named to MONEY Magazine’s Best Credit Cards list for 2016-2017
OREANDA-NEWS. The Discover it® Card, Discover it®Miles Card and Discover it® Secured Cardwere named to MONEY Magazine’s Best Credit Cards list for 2016-2017. This marks the third consecutive year that Discover card products have been selected for MONEY’s annual list.
The Discover it Card was recognized as the Best Cash Back Credit Card for Maximizers, and the Discover it MilesCard ranked as the Best Cash Back Credit Card in Year One. The Discover it Secured Credit Card, which launched earlier this year, was named the Best Secured Credit Card.
Discover offers a full suite of credit cards, including cash back, travel, credit-building and student cards, all with no annual fee1. Currently, all new Discover cardmembers automatically receive Cashback MatchTM – a dollar-for-dollar match of all cash back earned at the end of their first year as a cardmember.?
“When you add up all the benefits of being a Discover cardmember—from flexible rewards to award-winning U.S.-based customer service—we love how our credit card portfolio stacks up against the industry, across all categories,” said Julie Loeger, Discover’s executive vice president and chief marketing officer. “We have always been committed to offering innovative credit card products that serve our cardmembers’ needs. Having three of our cards named to MONEY’s Best Credit Cards list speaks to that commitment.”
MONEY recognized the Discover it Card for its 5% program, which offers 5% cash back in categories that change quarterly on up to $1,500 in purchases when you sign up, as well as the first-year Cashback Match promotion for new cardmembers. The Discover it Miles Card was touted for its 1.5X Miles earned on every dollar spent on purchases and the Match offering at the end of a new cardmember’s first year. The Discover it Secured Credit Card was recognized for reporting credit history to the three major credit bureaus, forgiving fee structure, no annual fee, FICO® Scores for free? and the potential to switch to an unsecured option after 12 months.
Features of the three Discover cards recognized by MONEY’s 2016-2017 Best Credit Cards list include:
- Discover it Card: As Discover’s flagship cash rewards credit card with no annual fee, it offers cardmembers 5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories such as gas, restaurants, Amazon.com and more – on up to $1,500 in purchases each quarter when activated. Cardmembers also receive unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Discover it Miles Card: The Miles card is a no annual fee card that earns cardmembers 1.5X Miles on every dollar spent on purchases and allows them to fly any airline, any time. Cardmembers can redeem Miles in any amount to credit travel purchases on their statement or get cash back at any time.4 They also receive an annual credit up to $30 for in-flight Wi-Fi purchases.
- Discover it Secured Card: Designed for those looking to build or rebuild credit, the Discover it Secured Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. The card, which requires a minimum security deposit of $200, offers 1% cash back on all other purchases, all with no annual fee. The card reports to all three major credit bureaus and cardmembers who manage their credit responsibly may qualify for an unsecured line of credit after one year.
Discover offers innovative features to help cardmembers and non-cardmembers stay on top of their credit. This year, Discover became the first credit card issuer to offer FICO® Credit Scores for free to everyone, including those who are not Discover customers, through its Credit Scorecard5 tool.
Other Discover cardmember benefits include:
- 24/7 live, U.S.-based customer service
- Ability to redeem rewards for cash in any amount and at any time; plus, cash back never expires
- Freeze ItSM – an on/off switch that enables cardmembers to freeze their account in seconds using the Discover mobile app or website if they misplace their card to prevent new purchases, cash advances and balance transfers
- FICO® Credit Scores for free on monthly statements and online
- $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee means cardmembers are never responsible for unauthorized purchases on their Discover card
For more information about the Discover it Credit Card platform, please visit www.discover.com/credit-cards.
About MONEY’S Best Credit Cards Ranking
To pick the winners, MONEY and NerdWallet evaluated more than 2,200 current credit card offers, focusing on rewards, fees, introductory and regular APRs, sign-up bonuses, and other, more specialized perks. For each category, MONEY set parameters for what constituted a winner, and NerdWallet scoured its database to find candidates, disclosing to MONEY any issuers from which it receives compensation when people apply through its site. MONEY then independently compared and fact-checked the cards and made the final decisions.
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories.