Federal Infrastructure Investments Windmill Point Lighthouse
Owners of designated lighthouses are required to care for them in accordance with recognized standards for heritage conservation. The Windmill Point Heritage Lighthouse was designated on the recommendation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Located in Edwardsburg Cardinal, Ontario, the lighthouse – originally built as a windmill circa 1832 – was the site of the Battle of the Windmill during the Rebellion of 1837-38. In 1872, it was converted to a lighthouse, remaining in service for over a century.
In 2015, the lighthouse was closed to the public as Parks Canada undertook extensive repairs of the site. Through the Government of Canada’s federal infrastructure investment program, \\$500K was invested to ensure its conservation for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
The investment into the Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site included exterior repairs on the windows, doors and exterior masonry to mitigate water infiltration. The historic lighthouse top was also repaired. Interior work was undertaken on walkways, stairs, and handrails to meet current code requirements. Since completion of the restoration work, the site has reopened and visitors are once again able to climb to the top of the tower to get a spectacular view of the St. Lawrence River.
Investments in preservation, rehabilitation, and restoration of our national historic sites will protect our heritage and strengthen their appeal as destinations to celebrate our nation's achievements.