Government of Canada delivers more than $7.8 million to Prince Edward Island for community infrastructure projects
The Government of Canada has now provided Prince Edward Island with more than \\$7.8 million for community infrastructure through the federal Gas Tax Fund (GTF), representing the first of two annual allocations for 2016?17. In total, Prince Edward Island will be provided with more than \\$15.7 million through the fund this year.
Among the projects being supported through this funding are:
- Upgraded wastewater facilities in Souris, St. Peter's Bay, Montague, Murray Harbour, Georgetown, Wellington, Summerside, Alberton, Tignish, Crapaud, and Stratford,
- Investments in drinking water in Charlottetown and Cornwall,
- Utilities upgrades to the Summerside Eco-Innovation business park,
- A multi-use cultural building in Souris,
- Campground facilities in St. Peter's Bay
The two GTF installments for this year are in addition to funds being made available to Prince Edward Island under other existing programs and two new federal funding programs: the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund. The latter are part of Phase 1 of the Government of Canada's 10-year, \\$120-billion Investing in Canada plan.
- The GTF has provided over \\$144 million to communities in Prince Edward Island since its introduction in 2005.
- \\$2 billion is made available nationally each year through two installments.
- The GTF provides Canadian municipalities with a permanent, predictable and indexed source of long-term funding.
- It offers local communities the flexibility to make strategic investments across 18 different project categories, including roads and bridges, public transit, drinking water and wastewater infrastructure, and recreational facilities.
- Communities can use the funds immediately for priority projects, bank the funds for later use, pool the dollars with other communities for shared infrastructure projects or use it to finance major infrastructure expenditures.
- Phase 1 of Investing in Canada provides \\$11.9 billion in investments to support public transit systems, green infrastructure projects, and social infrastructure projects. Details on Phase 2 of Investing in Canada will be announced over the next few months.
"The federal Gas Tax Fund allows communities to direct federal dollars to their particular infrastructure priorities across a wide range of project categories. Whether a community needs to expand their recreational centre, repair roads, enhance a wastewater treatment system or make energy-saving upgrades to municipal buildings, this funding offers predictable, reliable and flexible support that reflects the federal government's commitment to investing in infrastructure that makes a real difference in people's lives at the local level."
The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
"With the financial support of the Gas tax Fund, Island communities have been able to carry out needed work to improve water and wastewater systems and develop needed community facilities. With the announcement, we are continuing a long tradition of governments collaborating to deliver needed services to Islanders."
The Honourable Paula Biggar, Minister of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy