PETRONAS Announces New Hydrocarbon Discoveries
In Malaysia, gas has been discovered via the Sintok-1 well in the offshore Block SK320, about 240km northwest of Bintulu, Sarawak.
Block operator Mubadala Petroleum drilled the well to a total depth of 2,775 metres and discovered gas in the main target reservoir. Well data indicates Sintok-1 to have a gas column of 292 metres, and the operator is carrying out further evaluation to assess the volume of the discovery.
Sintok-1 well is the third gas discovery in Block SK320 for the joint venture partners since the award of the block by PETRONAS in February 2010. The well is also the second discovery in the block for this year after Pegaga-1. PETRONAS’ subsidiary, PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd, has a 25% equity in the Production Sharing Contract (PSC).
In Indonesia, PETRONAS Carigali Ketapang Ltd, the operator for the Ketapang PSC offshore East Java, is drilling the Bukit Tua South-2 appraisal well to assess the Bukit Tua South-1 oil discovery made in 2012.
The Bukit Tua-2 appraisal well reached its total depth of 2,176 metres early last month and penetrated the CD and Kujung carbonate reservoirs.
A drill-stem test (DST) carried out for the CD carbonate interval recorded a flow rate of 1,656 barrels of oil per day at two-inch choke size. Another DST will also be carried out for the shallower Kujung reservoir. Evaluation to determine the extent of the Bukit Tua South field is on-going.
The success of the Bukit Tua South-2 appraisal well will contribute additional oil resources to the Ketapang PSC for further development opportunities. The production from the Bukit Tua oil field is expected to commence by end 2014.
SKK Migas, the government authority managing the activities of Production Sharing Contractors in Indonesia, has been supportive of the joint venture’s exploration efforts in the block.
PETRONAS holds 80% equity in the Ketapang PSC while its JV partner PT Saka Ketapang Perdana, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PT Saka Energi Indonesia, holds the remaining 20% interest. Overall, PETRONAS is present in seven PSCs in Indonesia and is the operator for three of the ventures.