MIA Posts Strong International Air Trade Numbers in 2013
OREANDA-NEWS. International air trade statistics recently released by the U.S. Department of Commerce showed another year of growth at Miami International Airport, America's number one airport for international freight. The figures are based on trade data for the Miami Customs District and revealed that international freight originating and clearing customs inspection at MIA, or Origin/Destination (O&D) freight, amounted to 1,083,198 tons - an increase of two percent from 2012. O&D freight represented 59 percent of the actual total of 1.85 million tons of international freight moved through MIA in 2013. The remaining 41 percent was shipped through MIA in-transit to third-country destinations.
"The Department of Commerce's data is encouraging news for our local economy," said Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez. "Year after year, MIA continues to reach new heights in passenger and cargo traffic as our top generator of jobs and business revenue in Miami-Dade County's trade and tourism sectors."
MIA's international air trade in 2013, valued at USD 68.5 billion, accounted for 96 percent of Florida's total air trade value and 44 percent of the state's combined total (air & sea) trade values, underscoring the airport's economic impact beyond Miami-Dade County. In terms of nationwide impact, MIA handled 85 percent of all air imports and 80 percent of all air exports between the U.S. and the Latin American/Caribbean region last year. MIA also continues to hold the distinction of being the only U.S. airport to rank among the top 10 in the world for international freight.
Colombia was MIA's top trade partner measured by weight in 2013 with more than 240,000 tons of goods, while Brazil led all international trade partners in dollar value with nearly USD 13.2 billion worth of goods through MIA. Hi-tech goods were MIA's top export commodity group, with values from MIA to Latin America and the Caribbean alone totaling USD 1.1 billion per month in 2013. The top import commodity group in value through MIA in 2013 was gold, jewelry and gems, totaling USD 7.1 billion for the year.
"MIA's continued foothold as the gateway of the Americas for air trade is a welcome sign for our local, regional and state economies," said Miami-Dade Aviation Director Emilio T. Gonzalez.
While international O&D freight tonnage showed modest growth in 2013, the commercial value of MIA's O&D freight decreased by two percent over the previous year to USD 68.5 billion due in part to a slowdown in the global gold trade and a sharp 32-percent decrease in Venezuela exports and imports.