Russian Military Dug Up the T-34 in the Golan Heights
OREANDA-NEWS Russian military police restored the Soviet T-34 tank, which was dug up at the line of demarcation between Israel and Syria in the Golan heights, told reporters the commander of the battalion of the military police Rustam Numahadjiev.
"We were engaged in the equipment of this observation post and found a buried T-34 tank. The tank was dug into the tower, it has been standing here since 1973. We could not pass by this on the eve of the 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War. Brought in the proper form of the Victory Banner and the tank of the Victory", - said Nomahegan, who led the restoration of the tank.
The Golan Heights until 1967 were part of Syria. During the six-day war, Israeli troops occupied the territory. During the Arab-Israeli conflicts, the Warsaw Pact countries supplied weapons and equipment, in particular, to Syria and Egypt. As a result of the doomsday war (1973), the parties concluded an agreement on a truce and separation of forces. In 1974, UN peacekeeping posts appeared on the Golan Heights.
After the terrorist invasion in 2013, the UN ended its mission in the area. In 2018, the Syrian army established control over the province of Quneitra bordering Israel, after which the Russian military police put up observation posts along the Bravo line-the Syrian part of the border. In the same year, UN peacekeepers began to resume patrolling the demilitarized zone.
The T-34 is a Soviet medium tank during World War II, mass-produced since 1940. Designed by the design Bureau of the tank Department of the Kharkov plant № 183 under the leadership of Mikhail Ilyich Koshkin. The success of the project was predetermined by the use of the latest highly economical diesel engine B-2.