Postal Service Prepared for Busiest Mailing Day of the Year
OREANDA-NEWS. The Postal Service expects the busiest mailing day of the year for customers will be Monday, Dec. 14.
More than 612 million pieces are expected to be accepted and processed today. The Postal Service also is expecting a nearly 7 percent increase in packages to be processed on the busiest day.
“We prepare for this day year-round,” said Megan J. Brennan, Postmaster General and CEO. “The Postal Service is ready to serve our customers, and they can count on us to deliver their cards and gifts to family and friends for the holidays.”
Millions of customers will visit retail lobbies on Dec. 14; however, there are also many online options that allow customers to skip the trip. The busiest mailing day is expected to be the Postal Service’s busiest day online with more than 7 million customers predicted to visit usps.com. Customers can use Click-N-Ship to print and pay for shipping labels. They can also schedule a package pickup online, and order additional shipping supplies. Customers can sign up at my.usps.com to manage incoming packages, as well.
The Postal Service also encourages customers to remember the following shipping tips:
- Priority Mail Flat Rate is a convenient option for holiday shipping. It’s reliable, and provides expected delivery dates, improved tracking and included insurance up to $50.
- When sending a gift or card, print mailing and return addresses clearly and include all address elements, such as apartment numbers and directional information (ex: 123 S Main St. Apt. 2B). Use the ZIP Code finder on usps.com if unsure of the correct one.
- Make sure to pack gifts and boxes properly, and secure fragile items with packaging materials.
Holiday mailing and shipping deadlines are approaching quickly. Saturday, Dec. 19, is the last day to send cards and First-Class Mail packages for an expected arrival by Christmas. Customers can send Priority Mail Express items up until Wednesday, Dec. 23.
The Postal Service recommends keeping the following mailing and shipping deadlines in mind this week and next:
- Dec. 15 - Standard Post
- Dec. 19 - First Class Mail
- Dec. 19 - Global Express Guaranteed
- Dec. 21 - Priority Mail
- Dec. 23 - Priority Mail Express