Turkish Foreign Minister Spoke about the Cancellation of the Passage of US Ships to the Black Sea
OREANDA-NEWS. Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu confirmed that the United States has canceled the passage of its warships through the Bosphorus to the Black Sea. A source in the same department previously told RIA Novosti about this.
This refers to the destroyers Roosevelt and Donald Cook, which reportedly planned to stay in the Black Sea waters from April 14-15 to May 4-5.
The diplomat explained on the air of the NTV channel: "We were told orally that the passage of the ships was canceled. However, if they change their mind, they have three more days to use the previous notification and send the ships."
If the ships do not pass within three days, they will need to make a notification again, he added.
Cavusoglu also said that recently the United States sent 14 such documents, five of them were later canceled.
According to Pentagon spokesman John Kirby, the operations of American warships in the Black Sea are "routine", the United States is coordinating these actions with the Turkish authorities under the Montreux Convention.
As Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in turn, the passage of US ships into the Black Sea is accompanied by aggressive rhetoric, Moscow does not understand exactly what goals Washington is pursuing.