Scandal: How Scarlett Johansson Reacted to Disney's Response
OREANDA-NEWS. On July 29, 2021, it became known that the actress Scarlett Johansson is suing the Disney corporation in connection with a violation of her contract. The lawsuit says the company, by releasing the Black Widow comic strip simultaneously in the movies and on its Disney + streaming, deprived Johansson of the percentage of the box office due to her (the contract stipulates that the studio will release the film exclusively for theatrical distribution). In response to the lawsuit, the Disney Corporation issued a response statement in which it accused Scarlett Johansson of indifference to people during the coronavirus pandemic and announced that in addition to the $ 20 million already paid to her, the actress would allegedly receive bonuses from the Black Widow online rental.
In an interview with The Wrap, a spokesman for Scarlett Johansson, which initiated a lawsuit with Disney in connection with a breach of its contract, said the actress was "shocked" by the tone of the media giant's response. According to The Wrap insiders, Bob Chapek, CEO of The Walt Disney Company, is personally responsible for such a sharp statement from the studio.
Previously, organizations such as The Time's Up, ReFrame, Woman in Film called Disney's statement a "gender-based attack." In a joint appeal, they noted that they strongly oppose the fact that "Disney characterizes Johansson as an insensitive and selfish woman only because she is trying to defend her rights under the signed contract." In defense of the performer of the role of the Black Widow in the films of the MCU, the acting agency CAA, with which the actress works, also spoke out. Agent Johansson and co-chairman of the agency Brian Lourdes called the accusations of indifference brought against his client as shameless and false. Lourdes also condemned the attempt to denigrate Johansson by publishing the size of her fee.